Sunday, December 11, 2011

Neurological Surgery Consultation

Friday, December 9th

My wife Nila and son Ryan accompanied me to meet Ronald Young, Neurological Surgeon.  Dr Young went over the location of the tumor, and treatment he recommended. 

Dr Young recommended complete resection, with the caveat that complete resection is not often possible.  Research prior to my appointment confirmed that complete resection is rarely possible and follow-ups generally consisted of some form of radiation therapy.  Dr Young suggested these are very slow growing tumors, and given my age there would likely not be a follow up other than scans to monitor new growth.

My trepidation was length of recovery and long-term effects; most of these fears coming from my on line research.  I read stories of long-term post surgical ICU care, long term loss of feelings, use of one side of the body, loss of speech and long term memory loss.  Dr Young said the single cause of problems associated with the procedure was bleeding.  He assured me that any loss of function was minimal, and short term at best.  Dr Young reassured me that I would need 2-3 days post surgery stay in the hospital, and possibly 2-3 weeks before returning to normal daily functions.

Dr Young was concerned about my heart medications, as these are designed to thin the blood, which is not desirable for any surgical procedure.  Dr Young scheduled my surgery for January 4th, and requested I stop taking my heart medications immediately.  Dr Young said I would be required to have a pre surgical exam by my cardiologist.  I wouldn’t think this would be a problem, as I saw my cardiologist on Tuesday the 6th for my yearly check up.

Dr Young prescribed Diamox prior to the surgery to assist in eliminating any pressure prior to the surgery.

Diamox: Acetazolamide is used to treat glaucoma, a condition in which increased pressure in the eye can lead to gradual loss of vision. Acetazolamide decreases the pressure in the eye. Acetazolamide is also used to reduce the severity and duration of symptoms (upset stomach, headache, shortness of breath, dizziness, drowsiness, and fatigue) of altitude (mountain) sickness. Acetazolamide is used with other medicines to reduce edema (excess water retention) and to help control seizures in certain types of epilepsy.

Again, my concern was my ability to sleep and manage the pain associated with the headaches.  I told Dr Young I was currently taking Vicodin as needed for pain.  Dr Young was concerned about the aspirin content of Vicodin and prescribed Norco for pain management.

Norco:  Norco contains a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone. Hydrocodone is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers. Acetaminophen is a less potent pain reliever that increases the effects of hydrocodone.  Norco is used to relieve moderate to severe pain.

So, my surgical consultation is complete and I am somewhat relieved about my fear of the side effects of the surgery, but somewhat disappointed I couldn’t get the surgery done sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment